What Can You Expect

As a resident in training I work a LOT, but one thing that remains a priority to me is the consumption of great food. As a transplant from the south, I have used my years in Pittsburgh to eat at numerous restaurants. Use this to your benefit.

Check out my review before you spend money on a subpar experience. Yes, experience...food is so much more than caloric intake but an opportunity to connect with friends, celebrate an occasion and recapture an emotion.

Come along on my blogging journey as I eat across Pittsburgh and beyond. I will give you an objective review of varied cuisines and price ranges.
Please email me if you agree/disagree on a review or share your experience or suggestions.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Late Night Snack Attack

Today I was craving a late night snack but desired more than the usual slice of pizza or hoagie. I heard about a beer and hot dog place and wanted to see what it was all about. I am talking about D’s Six Pax and Dogz in Regent Square. The reviews boasted that it had exclusive microbrews and original Chicago-style hot dogs. Well, I have enjoyed an original Chicago dog and was game for one tonight.

From the street, the exact entrance is a little confusing. It features a garage door window, a two room dining area and a beer cave. My initial feeling was one of chaos. It is seat yourself dining with a décor that is all its own. The doorway is a painted, textured green tree, gargoyles holding beer signs hang on the wall, and a mural is featured on the opposite wall. A flat screen runs ESPN and the variety of high and low-top tables seat a variety of Pittsburgh’s citizens. A group of 20-somethings sits across from me while two gray haired gentlemen enjoy a beer behind me.

The service is speedy. Within moments of sitting, my order has been taken and my drink is on the table. I go for the 1919 draft root beer which is not too sweet, has the perfect blend of malt and would have been enhanced by a single scoop of ice cream ( excuse me while I digressed.) I order a Chicago-style dog, a dog with kraut and a handful of fries. The Chicago dog was just as I had remembered it, including the heat from the peppers. The kraut was a bit more sour than I prefer; therefore, not allowing for the perfect blend of my usual preferred flavors, kraut and brown mustard. I finished this all off with a perfect handful of fries. They were crispy and piping hot.

Overall, for a late night eatery D’s fulfilled the craving for a Chicago-style hot dog. The most disappointing aspect to the meal was the check. My 2 dogs, fries and a root beer came to $12. That’s more than any hot dog combo I encountered while in Chicago. It’s a definite for those looking for a variety of beers and the ability to take home a microbrew 6  pack. 

The Food Doc says only a yearly check up is in order for D’s 6 pack and hot dogs, unless you’re in the mood for a good beer.

 

D’s 6 Pax and Dogz

1118 S. Braddock Ave.

Edgewood, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment