What Can You Expect

As a resident in training I work a LOT, but one thing that remains a priority to me is the consumption of great food. As a transplant from the south, I have used my years in Pittsburgh to eat at numerous restaurants. Use this to your benefit.

Check out my review before you spend money on a subpar experience. Yes, experience...food is so much more than caloric intake but an opportunity to connect with friends, celebrate an occasion and recapture an emotion.

Come along on my blogging journey as I eat across Pittsburgh and beyond. I will give you an objective review of varied cuisines and price ranges.
Please email me if you agree/disagree on a review or share your experience or suggestions.

Monday, October 26, 2009

A Downtown Eatery

I met a friend at Palomino’s before heading to the theater. I arrived before my party and had time to truly relish in the atmosphere. It reminded me of a 21st century version of the classic steakhouse. The deep reds with dark wood and leather combined with low lighting and an open kitchen encouraged intimate dining even amongst others.

I had dined here before and hoped my night would be as good if not better than before. From the hostess to our ever-patient server, this met my expectations.

I knew it would be good when my neighboring table kept mumbling comments like “this is the best” or “oh my try this” as he dined on the filet and fingerling potatoes.

Dinner started with a great focaccia and an ever better bruschetta. The tomato, basil and whole roasted garlic were blended perfectly. I decided to try one of the Palomino’s signature entrees: the lobster ravioli. I had hesitation because the filling featured an herb I am not comfortable with-tarragon. The risk was well worth it. The filling could have stood alone. The cream sauce and too much pasta overpowered the excellent blend of lobster, scallop, tarragon and mascarpone. I also could not appreciate the saffron pasta. But, in spite of the pairing, I would order the dish again. The rigatoni bolognese was the perfect spicy and was covered in just the right amount of sauce.

If only the show didn’t trump dessert. I’ll have to return again. By the way, the cocktails and wine list compliment anything on the menu.

Food Doc recommends frequent visits.

Palomino’s

444 Liberty Ave

Pgh, PA

palomino.com

No comments:

Post a Comment